Sunday, January 9, 2011

January 9, 2011 Hola, España

So I know this blog sort of... died... sometime last semester but I am going to TRY to keep up with it better this time. Maybe eventually I will even go back and insert some long-overdue entries about Argentina (and one about Uruguay) or at least post all the pictures. If I do so, you shall all be informed. :)

And now onto new business! I just sent out the following email (hopefully not forgetting anyone).

I arrived safely in Madrid at around 10 am this morning. Really wish I had not had my camera packed so deeply in the luggage - Terminal Four of Madrid-Barajas airport is set up in  this massive, ultra-modern building.  It's won a bunch of awards. (Check out pics here: http://www.d-fine.es/dfine_en/seccion_4/index_1.php.)

Proof of said safe arrival is attached (as is another picture of the airport stolen from the internet). :) I have an armoire! That's almost as cool - maybe even cooler - than having a doorman!

Anyway, 10 am this morning felt like 4 am to me, so by now (2:35 pm in Madrid) I am really dragging. Must stay awake until bedtime and conquer the jet lag!

My homestay mom, María Luisa Alvarez, seems super nice. She's an adorable little old lady who I worried might expire from the effort of dragging my smaller checked-luggage suitcase up the stairs to her apartment (luckily just one floor up). It looks like I didn't lose too much of my Spanish over the past three weeks since I was able to understand pretty much everything she explained on the little tour she gave me.

There's a walking tour led by the university at 5 today (in a little over two hours from now). I soooooo want to lie down and take a nap right now, but I shall persevere! Maybe I can get most of the unpacking done and still make it there on time.

Love to you all. Abrazos y besos.
Abbie

I didn’t end up making the tour (it was raining and I still had to unpack my shoe collection), but I’m also not asleep yet so I’m still giving myself some cred.  :)

Now. Pictures!




The picture above (and the others of the airport that follow) are much better than the one I hastily attached to the email. All are courtesy of Wikimedia Commons and under their licenses are entirely free for distribution and use by anyone.







This was my proof of safe arrival... Armoire! Before I filled it with clothes. By the way, I can’t decide if that word – armoire – is more awkward to type or more awkward to read. Maybe it’s a tie. Nah, reading it is pretty annoying. Here, try it. Say it out loud, too. 





This and the next two photos make up the "before" pictures - before unpacking.







And now the "after" pictures!










Started going for a more "artsy look." I love the colors and lighting in this room!






And now I am quite ready to curl up in that oh-so-comfortable looking bed and get some sleep! Goodnight, everyone... although I suppose it's only 3 something in the afternoon where most of you are. >.<


2 comments:

  1. The pictures and the lighting in that room is amazing!! As well as the decor!!! Oh, Abbie , I'm so jealous

    ReplyDelete