Thursday, August 26, 2010

August 26, 2010 Scavenger Hunt

Cereal for breakfast! I’ve only been – what – three days without it? Well it was apparently long enough for me to suffer some withdrawal because those Copos de Maíz eran muy delicioso. I also love the milk here… I knew it was richer (I think they don’t separate out the cream unless you buy the kind that very specifically says “descremado”), and I thought I would like it less because of that, but it’s so, so good.

Um, let’s see… Orientation was probably the most interesting overall today. (Yesterday’s security presentation was interesting but then, just to make up for that, everything else was more difficult to sit through.) Our onsite psychologist gave a really fascinating talk about culture shock, and most specifically, what things are especially different here culturally. I’m not really in the mood to transcribe it all, though, even as interesting as it was. You’ll just have to keep reading these entries, and I’ll probably end up explaining all of it in depth over time, especially as I myself encounter the cultural differences.

There was also a scavenger hunt… At first I dreaded it, then I actually read the directions and thought it was a great idea, and then it kind of ended up being a bit lame. Oh well.

Passed this wall during the scavenger hunt..

This wins the prize for cutest graffiti. "Do you want to be my girlfriend?" Only it's really much cuter before you translate it.

Oh, but at the end of the scavenger hunt, we had to meet one of the helpers (the students from UBA, la Universidad de Buenos Aires, hired by NYU to help out during orientation) at the coolest bookstore!

It's an old, gorgeous theater that's been converted into this fantastic bookstore, which is just so awesome! There's a really nice café in the area that was once the stage. (I took these pictures from a table in the back of the café.) The entire lobby and seating area of the place has been filled with books! Just a few of the seats to the left and right of the stage remain, and people sit there reading! The area under the stage now has an escalator going down to it from the center of what used to be orchestra seating. There's a music section down there, along with children's' books. I am now determined to buy one or all of the Harry Potter books in Spanish, but I couldn't find them. Just an entire aisle of Twilight... o.o

I didn't realize at the time that this guy in the middle saw I was taking his picture. Oops. ^.^" Behind him you can see a bunch of the original lighting and set controls!




No comments:

Post a Comment